Legal Specialist vacancy available at Woolf – Bengaluru, Karnataka, Remote. At least 4 years of experience is required.
₹15,00,000 – ₹25,00,000 a year
Full job description:
Our mission at Woolf is to make higher education more accessible and ensure that it is globally transferable. Woolf is the first global, collegiate higher education institution that lets qualified organizations join as member colleges and offer accredited degrees.
Our software helps colleges meet and maintain regulatory and quality standards — managing everything from course creation to degree issuance. Like the member colleges at the University of Oxford or Delhi University, Woolf’s colleges have the benefit of being a part of a major higher education institution, while staying independent.
Our colleges include upGrad, Scaler Neovarsity, AlmaBetter, and others.
Reporting to the CEO, the Legal Specialist will be responsible for corporate compliance for all our entities, maintenance of accurate corporate records, and contract lifecycle management for our Deal Desk customers. This is a remote role based out of India. The Legal Specialist will also assist with state compliance checks, accreditation support, deal structuring, and patent filing management. This position will require a high level of collaboration and coordination with the CEO and outside counsel representing various jurisdictions, as well as an ability to quickly establish a deep familiarity with all of Woolf’s contracts. If you are excited to be part of a fast-growing startup, know when and how to ask the right questions, and are interested in legal research and discovery, this role may be a good fit for you.
- Process-oriented. You will be systematic about determining which clauses in a contract are high- and low-risk (both legally and commercially) and can make adjustments for clients accordingly.
- Integrity. You are trustworthy on liability/indemnification issues, and you can identify when it makes sense to tap into outside counsel budget.
- Contract Familiarity. You are comfortable learning every clause of our contract, understanding the IP and data issues, and understanding US legal terms like “commercially reasonable” — or you can get up to speed very quickly. You can identify areas of improvement in our MSA to reduce friction.
- Patent Filing and Trademark Experience. You will own and drive forward patent filing and trademark registration management.
- Help oversee the customer lifecycle from onboarding to renewal, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and account growth
- Collaborate with sales and tech teams to understand customer requirements and help customize product offerings
- Diagnose customer issues with accuracy, capture jobs to be done, map the costs, loop in relevant stakeholders, and monitor the delivery of solutions from Woolf to customer
- Navigate and help comply with technical regulatory constraints related to accreditation
- Help identify and mitigate account risks, while ensuring long-term account health
- JD or ML
- 4-6 years of experience in contract lifecycle management (MSAs, SOWs, NDAs, etc.), legal operations
- High integrity, excellent judgment
- Demonstrated experience in contract management and negotiation, legal drafting, contract review, corporate law, providing legal advice, and audit management
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability in negotiation and client-facing interactions
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, but absolutely understand when it’s necessary to sync with CEO/outside counsel before making a final judgement call
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines and deliverables
- High EQ
What Makes You Stand Out
- Familiarity with patent filing and trademark registration
- Highly self-motivated and comfortable working in a remote-first environment
- Previous experience with accreditation regulation or demonstrated passion for higher education/edtech
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to new circumstances
- Can jump in and do the hard things yourself when necessary
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Passion for Woolf’s mission, vision and embodiment of our core values
- Experience working in early-stage or high-growth tech startups
- Flexible PTO
- You will need to overlap your hours with USA (EST) at least 3 hours per day (9pm IST)